local-grain-initiative

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Harvest time


With overcast skies and the possibility of rain this morning, I decided that today was the day to cut the wheat down. The grains and stalks were dry enough and I have hung them to continue this drying cycle. A few more days in the sun and I can begin to process them further. Harvest day was certainly memorable. I speculate about the possibility that this is some of the first wheat grown on the Sushine Coast for at least 60 years. I didn't know if it would get to this stage and often imagined having to post pictures showing dying wheat covered in blight or eaten by bugs. If it dosen't work out for baking now, it is a result of post-harvest processing losses. The exploration continues. 124 days after planting, it now hangs drying on my front porch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home